Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Stray Cat ~ by Franic Witham


 
Oh, what unhappy twist of fate
Has brought you, homeless to my gate?
The gate where once another stood
To beg for shelter, warmth and food.
For from that day I ceased to be
The master of my destiny.
While he, with purr and velvet paw
Became within my house, The Law.
He scratched the furniture and shed
And claimed the middle of my bed.
He ruled in arrogance and pride
And broke the heart the day he died.
So if you really think, oh cat,
I'd willingly relive all that
Because you come, forlorn and thin
Well...don't just stand there...come on in!

4 comments:

  1. Kim, this is so beautiful!! Mr. Earl Gray is giving you kitty hugs! I know he is!!! xoxoxxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy! I always really liked that pic of him just before I brought him in the house to live with us! Think he knows we are thinking of him every day? ;)

      Delete
  2. Franic Witham must have had stray cats like the elegant Mr. Earl Gray, as seen here, dropping by to write this beautiful poem~~~

    Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, and so is he. It's amazing how a poor lowly stray can enter our lives and change it forever.

    ReplyDelete